Dateline: 20th – 25th February 2017, NEWMAP held a training on Catchment Management for the new states of Kano, Plateau, Kogi, Gombe, Sokoto, Delta and Akwa-Ibom. The training, which took place in Sokoto, was the second in the series. A similar training had earlier taken place in Awka Anambra state Capital in July 2016 for the 7 first movers states of Abia, Anambra, Cross River, Ebonyi, Edo ,Enugu and Imo.
The primary objectives of the training were to:
- Effectively enhance the capacity of the key stakeholders (FPMU, SPMU, UNGO and SFNGOs) to deliver on the catchment management components of NEWMAP, including community engagement;
- Equip participants with appropriate knowledge, tools, and techniques around participatory catchment planning and management including: catchment assessment with a focus on hydrology and other ecosystem services; planning and community outreach at landscape and micro-catchment scales; relevant soil and water conservation approaches for northern and southern states that could encompass minor civil works, vegetative management, water harvesting and storage, and other watershed protection measures; integrating community-led livelihood initiatives into the process; and monitoring and evaluation; and
- Provide knowledge on an integrating climate change considerations into the catchment management process.
Expected Outcomes Of The Training:
- Improved knowledge about NEWMAP, the processes, institutions and structures required for effective Sub-catchment Participatory Watershed Planning and Management.
- Enhanced capacity of participants in integrated sustainable watershed planning and management.
- Improved knowledge on how to assist community members to draw up action plan of implementation in a sub-watershed.
- SFNGO enhanced knowledge on Community sub-grants for soil and water conservation zones.
- Improved knowledge in community household water harvesting, soil and water conservation practices for a sustainable development with knowledge of Simple Basic concepts of catchment plan, erosion control measures, etc
- Newmap National Project Coordinator Salisu Dahiru at the opening ceremony
- Dr. Grant Milne one of the facilitators presenting a certificate to one of the participants. (Right) Sokoto State Commissioner for Env. Barr. Mohammed Bello Sifawa