ONDO NEWMAP AT A GLANCE
Ondo State Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project joined other 23 participating states to reduce the vulnerability of land to soil erosion across the state in 2017 and became credit effective in May 2019. The main causes of flooding and erosion in Ondo State are, silted up drains, Termination of line drain into an unsafe zone, indiscriminate dumping of refuse and deforestation and poor urban planning.
The State Steering Committee is chaired by the State Commissioner for Environment Mr. Funso Esan while the State Technical Committee is chaired by the permanent secretary ministry of Environment Engr.Tayo Adeniyi. The State government had shown commitment with the payment of initial counterpart fund and subsequent annual budgetary provisions.
LIST OF ACTIVITIES
- Ondo NEWMAP has identified twenty four(24) flooding and gully sites
- Engineering Design of 24 selected sites across the state had been designed.
- Geographical Information System (GIS) mapping of the selected sites completed.
- Rejuvenation of 100 HA of degraded Ala Forest Reserve on going.
- The process of engaging M&E Baseline Study Consultant is on- going.
- Procurement of 2Nos Amphibious Excavator, Low Bed Truck & 4WD Truck is on- going.
- Ayetoro Sea Incursion Emergency Intervention is on-going.
Making the Environment better; improving lives.
As part of efforts of the Ondo State Government to rejuvenate 100 hectares of land at the degraded Ala forest reserve, about one hundred and Ten thousand of both Exotic and indeginous tree species are ready and officially declared for planting by the Ni [gallery...
As part of efforts to keep the environment clean and prevent flooding, as the raining season begins, the Ondo State Government has begun desilting of drainages in Akure. OSRC TV's Yewande Afolabi reports that the desilting exercise is being replicated in other areas...
Stakeholders have called for the sustainability of the objectives of the Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project (NEWMAP), perhaps to ensure that the Project becomes an Agency to ensure the continuity of its positive implementation impacts. These echoes...