ONDO NEWMAP AT A GLANCE
Ondo State Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project joined other 23 participating states to reduce the vulnerability of land to soil erosion across the state in 2017 and became credit effective in May 2019. The main causes of flooding and erosion in Ondo State are, silted up drains, Termination of line drain into an unsafe zone, indiscriminate dumping of refuse and deforestation and poor urban planning.
The State Steering Committee is chaired by the State Commissioner for Environment Mr. Funso Esan while the State Technical Committee is chaired by the permanent secretary ministry of Environment Engr.Tayo Adeniyi. The State government had shown commitment with the payment of initial counterpart fund and subsequent annual budgetary provisions.
LIST OF ACTIVITIES
- Ondo NEWMAP has identified twenty four(24) flooding and gully sites
- Engineering Design of 24 selected sites across the state had been designed.
- Geographical Information System (GIS) mapping of the selected sites completed.
- Rejuvenation of 100 HA of degraded Ala Forest Reserve on going.
- The process of engaging M&E Baseline Study Consultant is on- going.
- Procurement of 2Nos Amphibious Excavator, Low Bed Truck & 4WD Truck is on- going.
- Ayetoro Sea Incursion Emergency Intervention is on-going.
Making the Environment better; improving lives.
Dateline: Calabar 24/11/2016 A joint enhanced Supervision mission for the Nigeria erosion and watershed management project commenced from Monday 21st November 2016 beginning with special meetings with the Federal Project Management Unit (FPMU). The mission involving...